LZX Visionary is a line of EuroRack format synthesizer modules designed for creating and manipulating video and images. While our modules may be augmented within the same system by a wealth of interesting modules from other manufacturers intended for the creation of audio, our goal is to offer a complete system specifically designed for the demands of generating and processing video signals.
A modular synthesizer is a type of analogue computer which is programmed by connecting the inputs and outputs of various functional modules to each other, typically in order to produce or process audio signals. The advantages of a modular synthesizer are its expandability and flexibility, since a system can be designed around goals the user wishes to achieve, and easily reconfigured (or patched) for multiple uses. Video synthesis is another application of the modular synthesizer, and while the application is different, the same principles of analogue signal paths and voltage-controlled parameters still apply.
While many functional modules are useful for both audio and video, some new module designs must be introduced which deal with the special requirements of video signals. The LZX Visionary modular video synthesizer can function as a traditional video mixer, keyer, or special effects unit, or delve into experimental territory such as the creation of abstract patterns with voltage-controlled oscillators, complex color space modulation, audiovisualization, and many as yet to be discovered techniques.
– All signals within the system are 1 Volt, DC-coupled voltages regardless of frequency range or signal type.
– All signal inputs can accept signals from all signal outputs.
– All inputs are capable of wide bandwidth response and processing of signals up to high frequency video rates.
– Video input and output to the system are handled by specific modules, therefore most signal generation and processing modules remain functionally independent of any specific video format.
– Video signal paths within the system exist as triple colorspace (RGB, YUV, etc) or monochrome signals, with sync and subcarrier insertion and DC restoration occuring only at external video input and video output modules.
– Modules are designed with functional density and complete patchability as primary goals. As a result, the system is designed with the exploration of complex signal paths and creative interpretation in mind rather than instant gratification.